JOB TITLE: Eastern Counties Independent Living Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living
REPORTS TO: IL Program Manager
STATUS: Part-time; 20 hour/week; non-exempt/hourly
Responsible for providing THE IC’s Independent Living services in eastern El Paso, Lincoln and Elbert counties to reach the unserved and underserved consumers in these areas. Services include Information and Referral, Peer Support, Advocacy, and Independent Living Skills Training. The IL Specialist will work closely with the other members of their team to develop peer support groups and resources to ensure that services can be provided in outlying areas.
- Baccalaureate Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience and a desire to work with people with disabilities
- Reliable transportation and ability to travel freely throughout El Paso, Teller, Kiowa, Kit Carson, Park, Lincoln, Cheyenne and Elbert counties to provide IL services.
- Proficient with computer, including, Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, and Outlook
Essential Functions/Areas of Accountability:
- Be a self-starter who is productive and proactive as well as work in conjunction with current staff and community patrons in an effort to accomplish job duties.
- Understand, model and implement The Independence Center philosophy, vision and mission. Ensure the philosophy, mission and goals of the Independent living program are maintained. Have a working knowledge of the Americans with disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, and Fair Housing.
- Assist consumers in learning and exercising self-reliance and self-advocacy skills. Set clear expectations, responsibilities and goals with consumers.
- Build peer support groups that encourage consumers to come together to address challenges and overcome obstacles that face people with disabilities. Work with the Peer Mentor/Volunteer Coordinator to develop Opportunities for consumer leadership in peer mentor roles.
- Determine the needs of consumers and the community throughout eastern county catchment area. Conduct outreach to identify un-served and underserved consumers and collaborate with other organizations providing services to people with disabilities.
- Develop an up to date information and referral database for eastern counties.
- Work with Community Organizer and Employment Specialist to provide advocacy for employment and transportation.
- Responsible for completing all paperwork and documentation such as Consumer Intake packet, Individual Living Plan and entering services into Cil Suite in a timely manner to meet regulatory requirements.. Maintain confidentiality as outlined in the employee handbook and work within the confines of HIPPA regulations.
- Accepts responsibility for personal and professional development and engage in and explore opportunities for training. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of area resources (El Paso, Elbert & Lincoln counties).
- Personal experience with a disability and knowledge of the Independent living movement is desirable
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills, Including Public Speaking
- Ability to write routine reports, assessments and related correspondence.
- The capacity to empower individuals with disabilities to advocate for themselves
- Office environment requiring ongoing computer use and extended amount of time sitting or standing.
- Ability to drive and spend much of the day traveling throughout eastern county area to meet with consumers and agencies.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position may also require the performance of other duties as assigned.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The Independence Center is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.