HOUSING OPTIONS MADE EASY
THE INDEPENDENCE CENTER PRESENTS A WORKSHOP ON FAIR HOUSING
When: August 22, 2013 – 1 PM to 3 PM
Where: The Independence Center
729 South Tejon Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Guest Speaker: Supportive Housing (Denver)
· What is section 8 – section 8 101
· What other types of housing assistance are available – like public housing
· Fair housing specifically for persons with disabilities
· Review of regulations: reporting income, who can live with you, etc.
· Other programs offered – homeownership
· Housing quality standards – based on what your unit needs
For further information and to RSVP please contact:
· Becky Shute (bshute@The-IC.org)
· Valeria Jones (vjones@The-IC.org)
ADA Event Highlights History
The Independence Center celebrated the anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and how it has affected the lives on those with disabilities on July 25th at Stargazers Theatre. The ADA Celebration included a silent auction with items donated from around the community, a screening of the PBS documentary “Lives Worth Living” and local heroes involved in the Disability Rights movement sharing their stories. “During the movie, you could hear a pin drop,” Yeager said. “I think maybe people did not realize what a recent and rich history we have across the country. We are not alone!” Read more about the evening on our website.
For more information please click on The Independence Center tab.